Weekly Update 1
18 May 2020 - Richard Horridge
During this current crisis, I have been very fortunate to have work to occupy me. These times are challenging for us all, and I am particularly susceptible as I am isolated from friends and family. I've decided to try and start doing weekly reviews of where I am at, looking over the previous week's accomplishments and failures, setting goals for the next week and evaluating the bigger picture.
To start with, I have a few things I'd like to be able to get out of this lockdown:
- Run a road 10k again
- Work back up to 10 chin-ups
- Bring the house back up to a good state
Two of these are fitness-related things which I can work on at any point (though it is good to keep track of them!). The DIY one is harder to pin down and there are quite a lot of things that I need to do regularly, such as maintenance, cutting the lawn, cleaning etc. There are a few things there that I would like to be able to achieve, however:
- Decorate my bedroom with a white-blue-grey-black colour scheme (think glaciers / mountains / sailing). I have some ideas of prints I can put up but I need to get some colours set up / go shopping etc.
- Fix some loose bits of wood around the house (a simple case of getting the glue out)
- Paint some chairs/tables and outdoor bits of wood. I have a colour palette already for the garden - I just need to get more paint! For the chairs in the conservatory, I need to decide what colours I would like to do - I think a beach kind of theme would work nicely, so tan / yellow / blue colours. I need to take some photos and look at what everything else is doing in the room - there are tables etc. that are quite specific in colour, particularly my grandmother's table which is a dark varnish, but I could rub it down and re-varnish it.
Looking back at the previous week, there are quite a lot of things that I accomplished. I collected some furniture (involving a long drive for the moment!) from around Birmingham and delivered it to a lady moving home to escape domestic violence, as part of my work for the Selly Oak foodbank. We had another successful quiz, which was a great opportunity to socialise and see people. I helped organise and run a successful Rumba Technique class over Zoom. We took part in a fun Cards Against Humanity session. I did shopping for a lady which involved a trip to Seoul Plaza, a new experience for me!
I wasn't able to do as much running as I had hoped but I did get out once. Music-wise, I've been practicing fairly regularly but haven't sat down and recorded anything for a little while - next week that might be something to aim for.
This week, I'd like to accomplish a few things:
- Get out of Birmingham for a walk in the countryside (probably Saturday)
- Cut the lawn
- Fix the loose bits in the conservatory
- Plan out some stuff for the house in CAD
- Actually focus on work a bit for a change!